Thursday, October 23, 2014

Bendouski page five


Scott pointed up the road. “Do you live alone?”
The guy gasped again, tried to speak, whined even more intensely, and finally shook his head no.
“Don’t move, pal.” Scott patted the big guy’s shoulder. “Like that’s gonna happen.”
He sprinted to the driveway that the Hummer had roared down, charged up to the house, and pounded on the front door. “Hello, hello! Anybody home?”
“Go away or I’ll call the police,” a frightened female voice yelled from the other side of the door.
“Your husband’s had a heart attack. He’s lying in the middle of the street.”
“I don’t have a husband, I have a gun.”
“Hey, lady, he came down your driveway.”
“Go away! I’m calling the police.”
“Big guy! Drives a Hummer?”
After a short pause the woman said, “Les? Oh my God.” She opened the door. “He’s my brother.”
“I’ve called 911. Do you have a blanket?”
The woman’s hands trembled. “What’s he doing out in the street? He was just . . . I thought he was working in the garage.”
“That blanket? We should keep him warm until the paramedics get here.”
“It’s August!”
“Oh, right, we’ll use it as a pillow, to keep him comfortable.”
She stared at Scott in confusion. “But, how did this happen?”
“He got excited about a spider on his sleeve.”

“What?”

No comments:

Post a Comment