Sunday, October 26, 2014

Bendouski page six & seven

 “A spider. Just get the blanket or something, I’ll go back to him.” Scott pointed and ran back down the driveway.
The sister brought Lester a blanket in less than a minute. “Oh God, Les. Are you all right? This man said a spider bit you.”
All Lester could do was gasp and point at Scott.
His sister nodded. “Yes, I know. He saved your life. Where did you get bit?”
Lester continued to gasp and shook his head no.
She tried to sound reassuring. “No, you’re not going to die. What kind of spider was it, could you tell? The paramedics are on their way.”
Scott anxiously stared down the road and said, “I don’t think the spider actually bit him. I’m pretty sure it’s his heart.”
Grabbing for Scott, Lester wheezed, “You . . . eeehhh . . . you . . .”
Scott eased his arm away. “There’s no need to thank me, my friend. I’m just doing what any Good Samaritan would do.”
Wheezing badly, Lester angrily looked at his sister, back to Scott. She nodded encouragingly. “Don’t try to talk, Les. The ambulance will be here very soon.”
“Yeah, Les. Don’t excite yourself. You’ll only make it worse.”
Lester clutched at his chest, tried to speak, but all he could manage was another tortured groan.

“Just calm down.” Scott nodded to the big guy’s sister. “I’m sure he’s gonna be okay.”
She stroked Lester’s forehead. “See? You’ll be okay, Les. Don’t worry.”
Lester managed to wheeze out a few words. “He’s (gasp) the one (gasp) who, who . . .”
“Yes, we know.” She patted his shoulder. “Take it easy. You’re going to be okay.”
“Yeah, don’t excite yourself, Les. Try to stay calm.” Scott nodded reassuringly at him, which made Lester even madder.
“He’s right. Calm down, Lester.” Turning to Scott, she said, “He’s not normally like this.”
“Try to relax, big guy.” Down the road, blinking red and yellow lights were tearing up the street toward them. “I can see the ambulance. That’s a nice surprise—they made it up here pretty fast.” Scott started to back away.
“Where are you going?”
“I have to get my car out of the way. You’ll be okay now, they’re almost here.”
“But wait! How can we ever thank you? What’s your name?”
“My name’s not important. I’m just glad I could help. Take care of your brother.” Scott climbed in his Mustang as the ambulance drove up and the paramedics leaped out.
He watched for a moment as they hooked up an oxygen mask to Lester and started checking his vitals. Lester continued to point in Scott’s direction. His sister kept nodding and patting his shoulder.
Once Lester was on a stretcher and things were under control, Scott rolled his Mustang down thestreet in reverse, backed into the driveway of the next house, whipped the car around, and drove off.

No comments:

Post a Comment